Small drops of water can form a whole Ocean with diligence and patience at the end. Therefore it is important to pay a lot of attention to small things and steps. Of course, also when it comes to virtual global teams, as these in turn contribute significantly to the success of a company.
Let’s have a brief look at the individual steps:
- The first step in building a successful team is to define a common plan and develop a structure. Once the structure and purpose are clear, you should bring the right people to the right place. The right people, the right mindset and the right attitude motivate the team members to contribute to the successful implementation of the project.
- The second step would be to build relationships, starting with managing the time zone difference between teams. The more flexible and robust the team, the easier it is to find a collaborative approach.
- The third step would be to create an environment where the team comes first and not just one individual has the communication skills of a key player. The team should have the ability to organize and work for itself and, last but not least, empathize with all team members.
- The fourth step involves working to focus on the processes, cultural understanding, strong facilitators/communicators on both sides, stream training and faster responses with common goals.
- The fifth step would be to focus on the strengths of the team members, e.g. using their knowledge and skills to maximize their potential.
- The sixth part involves the integration of the team members into the respective project. This includes the following steps: onboarding, milestone definition and regular review.
In total, it can be said that in such a project a lot of calm and patience is of paramount importance.
We at eves_ have successfully implemented the concept of virtual global teams. On 22 June 2018 we were able to open our Offshore center in Trivandrum (India). You can find more information here!
You can find our success story in the “insight asia-pacific” (magazine of the OAV German Asia-Pacific Business Association) here!